I want to know that Is there difference in latency between tube amp and solid state amp?

Discussion in 'Guitars , As Many Strings As You Want' started by Zachary Milligan, Jun 4, 2017.

1. Zachary Milligan

Zachary Milligan New Member

I play guitar through soundcard and there is 9 ms latency at minimum. But is there any latency on solid state amps compared to tube amps? thanks
    AprilBHernandez and Joan Brown like this.
  2. Joan Brown

Joan Brown New Member

Latency occurs in the D/A and A/D process. Analog audio travels at roughly the speed of light. No latency. This is basic electronics.
  3. Robert M Leigh

Robert M Leigh New Member

Via electrical cables, yes, but not acoustic waves through the air. So there's practically zero latency through the amp but technically there's latency between the speaker and our ears. More so than people tend to suspect.
  4. AprilBHernandez

AprilBHernandez New Member

Actually there is with modeling amps. And modeling pedals and digital multi-fx boxes too. When I got a Pod back in 2000 or so, it bugged me. But now we all live in a little-bit-o-latency world so I don't really notice anymore.
  5. Joan Brown

Joan Brown New Member

Air was not the question.

AND anything that has modeling is digital, so there is conversion plus digital manipulation.
  6. Zachary Milligan

Zachary Milligan New Member

I have a small solid state amp, around 20 watt, there is a gain, volume, bass, middle and treble. Is gain knob makes amp modeling?
  7. Joan Brown

Joan Brown New Member

No, it is an analog gain control.